Primary Care Paramedic
Primary Care Paramedic Diploma in just 60 weeks!
Primary Care Paramedic workers administer pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further medical care. They are employed by private ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government departments and agencies, manufacturing firms, mining companies and other private sector establishments. Paramedics who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
N N.O.C. 3234 Median Salary $29.50 hr. *Job Bank 2015
Primary Care Paramedic Program Focus:
- Assess extent of injuries or medical illnesses of trauma victims, patients with respiratory disease and stress, overdose and poisoning victims, industrial accident victims and other ill or injured individuals to determine emergency medical treatment
- Administer pre-hospital emergency care to patients such as oxygen therapy, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), spinal immobilization, bandaging and splinting
- Establish and maintain intravenous treatment (IV), apply adjunctive equipment for ventilation and circulation complications, administer medications and provide other advanced emergency treatment to patients
- Transport patients by air, land or water to hospital or other medical facility for further medical care
- Collaborate with ambulance dispatch centres, hospital staff, police, firefighters and family members to ensure relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered
- Document and record nature of injuries and illnesses and treatment provided
- Assist hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
- Maintain ambulances and emergency care equipment and supplies
- May train and supervise other workers in this unit group
- May assist with triage of emergency patients.